DIY: add upholstered cushions to chairs

add upholstery to chairs

So my last blog post I told you how I painted my mismatched kitchen chairs.  It was hot, and really, REALLY messy.  But worth it to see my little yellow beauties in the kitchen every morning as I drink one(ok, three) cups of coffee.

But, for me, anything worth doing is worth overdoing and really stretching it out.  So I thought  if I added some upholstered cushions to the two chairs that didn’t have any they would look charmingly mismatched instead of like  2 pairs of free mismatched chairs I threw together.  And I needed some cush between my tush and the chairs.

• medium density fiberboard cut to size
  • clamps
  • fabric
  • foam
  • spray adhesive
  • 4 carriage bolts and nuts per chair
  • drill gun with 1/2″ bit
  • staple gun and staples
  • scissors

I had my MDF cut to size at the Home Depot since I live in an apartment and don’t really have the space for a power saw.  I dream of a garage workshop the way some women dream of walk in closets or rooms of their own.  Actually, I dream about those, too.

Clamp your board to your chairs and mark 4 places where to drill your holes.  Check to make sure you’re not going to hit anything on the bottom of the chair.

add upholstery to chairDrill through your board and the chair.add upholstery to chair   I sanded my corners a little and taped them off with duct tape so they wouldn’t tear through the fabric. Lay your board on top of your foam and trace the outline. Use scissors of a utility knife to cut it to size.add upholstery to chairsPut your board back onto the chair and insert the carriage bolts into the holes.add upholstery to chairsCoat your foam with the spray adhesive and put on top of the board.  Give it a good press down and let it dry for a while.add upholstery to chairsOnce your glue is dry, cut your fabric to fit the cushions.  Give yourself at least an extra 2 inches on each side.  Don’t forget to factor in the height of the cushion.add upholstery to chairsStaple into place and trim the excess fabric off.  Put the cushions back onto your chairs and screw in place with the carriage nuts. Done!add upholstery to chairsA view of the finished chairs in my kitchen.add upholstery to chairsAnd what they started out looking like.add upholstery to chairsTo read about how I painted them click here.  Or just go back one post.

Print pagePDF pageEmail page
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to DIY: add upholstered cushions to chairs

1. Pingback: The Ultimate Guide to Staging/Decorating Your House for the Fall Season | Real estate 101

2. John Gioia says:

Looks like a great plan! Would you mind explaining how/where to find foam for the seat? What thickness is best? Any suggestions on websites for ordering the foam? Thank you!

3. Dena Bee says:

Love it. Now what if you also wanted to upholster the back? Would the fiberboard be necessary? I have a chair that already has a seat cushion but I want to cushion the back and it is curved. I’m trying to figure out how to do it.

4. Pingback: Creative Tutorials and Ideas for Chair Makeovers - Flux Decor

5. Shelley says:

I love what you did to the chairs, wished I would have seen it sooner, I have already done chair seats ,but would like to do a strip on the back od chairs, my backs are wooden X ,have any ideas?

6. Kelsey says:

Hi there! Where did you get this fabric? It is adorable!

7. Eddie Barack says:

How thick should the fiber boards used be? Kindly let me know as this interests me so much. I want to try it out!

8. Karen says:

My home depot folks said their saws only cut straight lines not angled ones and my chairs seats are wider at front than back. Any ideas how to best cut mdfb? Type of saw? Can’t wait to get to work. I’ve got everything ready to go but the board!
    Karen, Monrovia, Ca

9. Pingback: Spring Makeover | Mirens Blog

10. Ched says:

What is the thickness of the fiberboard that you used?

11. This was absolutely brilliant. I originally planned to sew cushions to our office chairs and then saw this. We followed it to the “t” and man, I am loving how the chairs and stools turned out. Your tutorial was really fantastic. Thank you St. Pinterest for allowing me to find you!

12. Pingback: {Before & After} An Inspiration-Filled Office - Team Whitaker

13. Ebony says:

Can I do the same on the arms of a wooden captain chair?

14. Pingback: A few ideas to transform an Ikea chair - BLOG ARREDAMENTO

15. Michael says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I was sitting in my “new to me” desk chair this morning thinking about how it’s actually a pretty sturdy chair and that I should just add some DIY love and make it pretty. Now I know exactly what to do!

16. Pingback: DIYing Pine Furniture – Inspiration | Furniture Importers | Blog

17. Ellen Sallas says:

Wow — you have blown me away. I can’t wait to do this, and your blog has made it possible. I will see what else you can teach me!! Hugs, DIYNewbie-Ellen in AL

18. Pingback: Childproof DIY | Counting flowers on the Wall

19. amy says:

Thank you so much for this detailed how-to. My husband and I combined our skills and redid our Ikea chairs (with a washable vinyl to deter toddler messes) and they look amazing!

20. Haleigh Jeffreys says:

So glad I found this post! I have three chairs that are the traditional bow back chairs that typically come with your oak pedestal dining tables. I’ve refurbished them with Annie Sloan chalk paint and they look great but I am running into a problem. I want to add cushions just as you did, but your seats were squared off. I’m trying to figure out how to shape off my cushions.
    Thanks for sharing!

21. Natalie says:

Lovely set of chairs! Just out of curiosity, how much fabric did you need for this project?

22. Pingback: 14 Ikea Hacks - A Little Craft In Your Day

23. Christy says:

I have 2 antique chairs that are wooden and seats are coming apart because it’s like the basket weave / Raton stuff. I’m not good w/ correct names of fabric but would appreciate any ideas???

• krista says:

Christy- it sounds like those chairs are in need of some attention. You could definitely turn them into upholstered chairs. Just make sure the wood you attach the foam to is bigger than the opening left by the old rattan, and that you have a place to attach the carriage bolts to. Good luck!

24. melissa says:

i am so excited i found this pin! i have these chairs and was searching specifically for cushion ideas for them! what kind/brand of foam did you use?

25. Pingback: Top 10 Simple DIY Kitchen Remodeling Tricks | Top 10 Kitchen

26. That is great! I have a chair that doesn’t have a cushion and now I will know how to do it!

27. Francine says:

Thank you so much for this idea and excellent tutorial! Now I know how to get nice comfy chairs for my craft roon/office.

28. Colleen says:

Really love how your chairs turned out and how you made them look more like a set, great choice of colour and fabric!

comments make me happy.